Congresswoman Sylvia R. Garcia understands that improving and expanding access to care is a top priority for the 29th District of Texas. As a County Commissioner, she worked to expand local community clinics and as a State Senator appealed to state leaders to expand Medicaid in the State. Now, she's working with her colleagues in the House of Representatives to implement a thoughtful and comprehensive healthcare plan for the country. In Congress, she has repeatedly voted to protect the Affordable Care Act and to fight against efforts to undermine this landmark legislation.
- She supported H.R. 3, the Elijah E. Cummings Lower Drug Costs Now Act, which was passed in the House in December 2019 and will significantly reduce the costs of prescription drugs across the country.
- She supported the Strengthening Health Care and Lowering Prescription Drug Costs Act, which passed in the House in May 2019.
- She cosponsored the Protecting Pre-Existing Conditions and Making Health Care More Affordable Act of 2019. This bill would protect people with pre-existing conditions, lower health care costs for consumers, and reverse the Trump Administration’s harmful actions to sabotage the Affordable Care Act.
- The CREATES Act, which she also cosponsored, would prohibit pharmaceutical companies from engaging in conduct that blocks lower-cost generic drugs from entering the market.
- She was also an original cosponsor of the HEAL for Immigrant Women and Families Act, which expands access to health care and maternal health services for immigrants by removing legal and policy barriers to health insurance coverage. It’s important that all people have access to quality healthcare, regardless of citizenship status.
Prescription drug pricing is a critical concern that affects everyone. No one should have to choose between their health and their ability to make ends meet. That is why Congresswoman Sylvia Garcia voted in favor of important bills such as HR 3, The Lower Drug Costs Now Act, and supported other bipartisan bills in the House aimed at reducing the cost of prescription drugs.
Insulin is a particular concern for the Texas 29th District. HR 3 would require the Secretary of HHS to negotiate the price of insulin within the first year of implementation. Congresswoman has hosted two Tele Townhalls on the topic, where local experts spoke to constituents about where to find assistance to manage their diagnosis.
For more information concerning work and views related to healthcare, please contact our office.
More on Healthcare
Washington D.C. – This week, Congresswoman Sylvia R. Garcia (TX-29) will meet with local labor leaders and constituents from the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) in Texas and the National Domestic Workers Alliance to recognize Domestic Workers Day.
During the meeting, the Congresswoman will hear from workers about their experiences of balancing work and child care during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Contact: Daniela Campos Lopez – firstname.lastname@example.org - +1 202 256-2198
Washington D.C.- Today, the House Committee on the Judiciary advanced the The Elder Abuse Protection Act of 2021, introduced by Congresswoman Sylvia R. Garcia (TX-29) and Congresswoman Victoria Spartz (IN-05).
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congresswoman Sylvia Garcia cosponsored sweeping new health care legislation that will lower Texans’ health insurance premiums, crack down on junk health insurance plans, strengthen protections for people with pre-existing conditions, and reverse the Trump Administration’s health care sabotage.