Our nations heroes should be treated with the respect and dignity they deserve after making brave sacrifices for our country. In Washington, Congresswoman Sylvia Garcia has repeatedly voted to support the veterans of the Texas 29th Congressional District and across our great country. During the last year, Congress held more than 50 hearings and passed 36 bills in support of our veterans. Below are some of the major bills that Congresswoman Garcia supported.
- Congresswoman Garcia supported legislation to support our heroes like the FIGHT Veteran Suicides Act, which passed the House in March 2019. It would require the VA to send guidance to deter the sensationalism of suicide and identify warning signs exhibited by veterans at risk of suicide.
- She voted in favor of the Department of Veterans Affairs Contracting Preference Consistency Act, the Identifying Barriers and Best Practices Act, and the Improving Confidence in Veterans’ Care Act, which support access to disability, pension benefits, and protect patients at VA facilities. These bills were all passed in the House in December 2019.
- She has also hosted several town halls around the district to hear firsthand what she can do in Washington to better support veterans.
- She proudly voted to provide $217.5 billion for the Department of Veterans Affairs for Fiscal Year 2020, an increase of $20.3 billion from Fiscal Year 2019. These funds will provide better and increased access to care for our veterans.
- She was a cosponsor of the Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act of 2019, which was signed into law in June 2019. This bill extends disability benefits covering medical conditions associated with Agent Orange exposure.
Congresswoman Garcia will continue working to support and honor the men and women that have fought for our freedoms. We must ensure our veterans and their families have access to healthcare, educational and professional opportunities, and other benefits they deserve.
For more information concerning work and views related to veterans, please contact our office.